PICTURE LIST 2  ( 53 - 81 )

LIST AND SHORT DESCRIPTION OF LOW MOOR IRONWORKS / STEELWORKS PHOTOGRAPHS

53. Original octagonal office . Built 1791. Upper floor used as Company private office.Lower floor was Clerk's Room.            Looking up main works road from main gate .

54. Pound note issued by Company between 1812 and 1826. Guinea notes were also issued between 1803 and  1811.

55. Steam drop hammer. Driver of hammer named Walker Wharton.

56. Steam drop hammer. Used in 1857 to forge Con-Rods, Crank Pins and other items for Brunel's " Great Eastern".              Patent Hammer public house which stood in Carr Lane was named after this piece of equipment.

57. Celebrations of marriage of Prince of Wales by Principals of Company . 10 - 03 - 1863. The celebrations were                 attended by 3600 of the company's workmen . These consisted of 1993 miners, 770 forgemen, 420 furnacemen,               323 engineers and 94 agents and managers. They dined on roast beef and plum pudding with liberal amounts of ale. 

58 .Celebrations of marriage of Prince of Wales by Principals of Company . 10 - 03 - 1863.

59.  24 " plate rolling mill 1867.

60.  Refinery.

61.  Puddling furnace.

62.  Coal screen used for sizing coal. New Works.

63.  Coal washer. New Works.

64.  Blast furnaces at New Works.

65.  New Works entrance.

66.  New Works furnaces.

67.  New Works furnaces.

68   Slab forge helves.

69.   Old foundry.

70.   Original tilt hammers .

71.  Low Moor Iron A.F.C. Pictured outside the Royal Hotel.

72.  Cupola from roof of 1842 office building at front gate. The cannons were used as gateposts for the main gate.                   In this picture, they form a feature inside the works yard. Since the works closure they have been on exhibition at              Bradford Industrial Museum.

73.  Campaign sticker to " Save Low Moor Steel " . Sadly the campaign failed.

74.  General view of New Works Site 1957.

75.   Inside New Works electricity plant.( 1960 ).

76.   New Works site ( 1960 )

77.   New Works electricity plane ( 1960 ).

78.   New Biggin works dam. Now dissappeared under Dealburn Rd. council refuse tip.

79.   Pumping engine house.

80.   Remains of electricity plant 1960 .

81.   Demolition of New Works furnaces. 1938.