Low Moor Local History Group
Granville Dobson's book about his experiencies as a fireman at Low Moor engine shed is reviewed
Low Moor gained its first railway in 1848 with a link from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway’s Manchester to Leeds line with a branch from Mirfield via Cleckheaton. Prior to this travellers had to take a coach connection from Brighouse.
The extension from Low Moor to Bradford took a further two years due to difficulties in constructing Bowling tunnel. Shortly after the extension opened the direct line from Halifax to Low Moor opened also in 1850.
The next link to Low Moor came in 1854 when the Great Northern Railway opened the line from Laisterdyke to Bowling Junction on the Bradford to Low Moor line. This gave travellers from Leeds a much improved journey time to Manchester.
Low Moor south curve opened in 1886 connecting the Spen Valley lines directly to Halifax.
The line from Dudley Hill to Low Moor opened in 1893 but was closed as a WW1 economy measure to passengers in 1914 and freight in 1917. This probably made it one of the shortest lived lines in the area.